IGBT ??

Jim Pieronek jvp%fuelrod at juliet.ll.mit.edu
Fri Jul 28 20:14:52 GMT 1995

Jim Conforti writes:

 > Would someone of you EE types tell me WHAT an IGBT is ..

Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor

It is like an NPN bipolar transistor with an FET gate instead of a
bipolar base.  They are voltage controlled instead of current
controlled.  In applications switching more than 400 volts at more
than, say, ten amps they are more efficient than FETs.  I've never
used them so I can't tell you much more.

 > And where you can get them??

The fine folks at Digi-Key are more than happy to list them in their
catalog.  Whether they have them on the shelf is another question
altogether.

Jim
J. V. Pieronek                            Phone: (505) 243-5822
MIT Lincoln Laboratory                    Internet: jvp at ll.mit.edu
Terminal Radar Development Facility
Albuquerque, New Mexico