PLease help me

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Wed Mar 1 14:33:52 GMT 1995

> Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 08:13:09 -0500
> From: pjwales at magicnet.magicnet.net (Peter Wales)
> Subject: Re: PLease help me get up to date/speed

> The big advantage with using engine speed and throttle position as
> references in mapping an engine, is the exact repeatability of any set of
> conditions. To get any air mass meter to give out a specific voltage at an
> RPM is less easy, especially if you are trying to do this without a dyno. In
> air mass meters I do include manifold pressure sensors.

I hope adjustability for load changes is in there.  Absolute throttle
position helps (throttle will be open more when going up a steep hill
(more load) than on level grade at same speed, for ex.).

> The problems which doing it without an air mass meter generate, occur when
> the environment changes. If you do your programming at sea level on a sunny
> day at 70 degrees, the programming will not be correct when it is raining
> and you are half way up a mountain. Therefore, if you are going all out for

See my subsequent post on how to correct to standard conditions.....

> The sequential injection systems add nothing to power! Most vehicles are
> running with the injectors fully open at full power and so all injectors are
> squirting a continuous stream of fuel into the inlet. At lower power

Right!  Do the math, and see that at high RPMs the injector is open
a great deal of time.  Go to larger-flowing injectors and you may have
controlability at idle.  Dynamic range is a wonderful thing......

               Bruce A. Bowling
  Staff Scientist - Instrumentation and Controls
 The Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
               bowling at cebaf.gov