Aftermarket EFI, speed density etc.

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.magicnet.net
Fri Mar 3 14:11:33 GMT 1995

Things are getting a little complex here due to the size of the postings, so
lets try and remove some of the flotsam.

>Thankyou for your *amazing* insight.
>
>Let me explain a couple of things.  When I stated *aftermarket efi*, I was.....

ok, you dont want stoichiometric in Australia, its the law in the US and in
England they still sell leaded gas! The question was why use mapping and I
hope it has been answered.

>For fine tuning (dyno work), it's just as easy to set the engine speed where
>required (assuming you have a decent dyno) and adjust the throttle position
>to give the required manifold pressure (vacuum).  I don't understand how
>Peter finds this any more complicated than setting a throttle position.
>MAP readings are easily reproducable and actually mean something as
>opposed to a voltage output from a throttle positon pot.............

First the threottle position is the correct way, then the MAP sensor.
It seems that Robert is going to be right no matter what the answer is.

>> Lastly, flap air sensors are not notoriously unreliable. If they were there
>> would be ten trillion cars breaking down every minute because of them. They
>> are very reliable in service and if used correctly in race engines they work
>> adequately there as well.
>
>I disagree here.  Ask any Jaguar mechanic about the reliability of the Lucas
>(Bosch) moving vane MAF meters fitted to XK engined XJ6s........

Lucas and Jaguar!!!! Hardly the definition of reliability. Try asking a BMW
mechanic. And before anyone gets upset over me panning two English
products.... I am English (hangs head in shame)

Peter Wales