[comment] resell of DIY_EFI material

John S Gwynne jsg
Mon Mar 6 03:01:06 GMT 1995

I just got back after being out of town for a week....

   In message <"2476*rodb at cs.ubc.ca"@MHS> , you write:

| This brings up an interesting point.  What is the status of the info on
| this list?  I had been assuming that it was more or less public but
| that it would be unethical to use it for profit.  Comments? John?

I support this position, but I know of no way to enforce
it.  I have thought about things like a GNU or BSD type
of license and copyright, but I'm not a lawyer and don't
know what kind of modifications would be needed for a
project like this. Perhaps others have experience in this
area?

| I've got a MC68332 FI design in the works that I was planning on sharing
| with the list on a non-commericial basis.  I'd be more hesitant about
| sharing it if somebody could take it and profit from it.  We don't want
| to end up being [... an] r & d lab [for anyone] !!!!

I personally would like to see an EFI system that is 100%
open to the public. I would would not object to members
selling parts/kits (or group buys of parts) as long as
prices are not inflated for personal gain. I suppose this
in itself could be a problem. If we permit the selling of
any one item it would become more difficult to stop
marketing in general.

This list belongs to all of us and the direction in which
it goes is *only* controlled by the good judgment of each
poster.

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu