Knock sensor control (and other uses for ionization gaps)

Matthew Lee Franklin fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 8 04:55:27 GMT 1995

>levels involved? I'm looking for something that will indicate a "lean"
>condition faster than an egt thermocouple. Am I correct in deducing that
>a lean mixture will burn slower, thus higher ion currents will flow? How
>about applying this to detonation detection?

The SAE paper I'm thinking about was written by Brehob in '89 or '90.  I
built the sensor for that QUAD-4 based on the schematics from A Cambridge
PhD thesis.  I think the author's name was Peter Hand, but I'm not
certain.  He used 10 volts, if I remember rightly.  I used 15 volts
because that's what I had, and it helped the signal to noise ratio..

To get yourself playing with a real system as soon as posible, I would
suggest the following.  I hope I can remember.  Get a voltmeter, 1 to 10
M-Ohm impedance.  Get a 9 volt battery.  Connect the one terminal of
the nine volt to one leg of the DVM.  Connect the other leg of the battery
to one side of the gas to be sensed.  Connect the free leg of the DVM to
the other side of the gas gap.  Then pass this gap through a hydrocarbon
flame.  Add salt to the flame to watch the ion concentrations increase.
The 9 volt battery is your bias voltage, the internal impedance of the
voltmeter is your current sensing resistor, the "ideal DVM" measures the
voltage drop across the 10 Meg.  It sounds really bad, but it works well.
I think the current ranges from pico amps to nano amps.  Maybe the ASCI
gram will clear it up??

|-------- DVM----9VOLTBATTERY---------|
|                                     |
|                                     |
|------------->  GAP  <---------------|

               FLAME

It really works.  A scope may be substituted for the DVM.

On the engine version, I had mega-trouble with 60 Hz noise (on the dyno in
the lab) when I used an off-the-shelf 15 Volt supply, but a big metal box
to shield the supply from the amplification seemed to help a lot.

Brehob used it to sense EGR induced misfire while Hand used it to sense
lean misfire.

Have fun...
Matt