Mitsubishi ECU

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Mar 9 00:46:49 GMT 1995

Joel A. Robinson writes:

> 	1.  How can I easily monitor the A/F ratio as I drive? I have an
> 	LED bar graph guage that taps into the O2 sensor wire but I would
> 	like to know if this guage works for all engines regardless or if
> 	it was designed to work with only certain O2 sensors that operate
> 	in a specific voltage range.

It will work with any zirconia O2 sensor.  Almost all cars use zirconia
sensors.  However, that bar might as well only have 3 lights on it,
because that is all its telling you.  The A/F range over which a
zirconia EGO has meaningful output is around 14.3:1 thru 15.1:1
(gasoline).

You get richer than 14.3:1 or so (note, this range will be different
for every single O2 sensor, even supposedly identical ones), and the
output will vary more with EGT than A/F.  For best power, you
probably want to be somewhere between 12.5:1-13.5:1.  The difference
between 12.5:1 and 14.3:1 on a hot turbo motor can be holes in the
pistons....  and you can't tell the difference reliably with a
zirconia EGO.  That doesn't mean the O2 sensor isn't useful,
is great for tuning cruising conditions and idle.  It's also better
than nothing at WOT... if less than 650mV or so, you've definately
got a problem.  Greater than, you might be ok....  like i said, better
than nothing!

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.mtsu.edu/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700