Lambda & Lead

Steve Baldwin steveb at kcbbs.gen.nz
Fri Mar 17 01:27:05 GMT 1995

I would like to find some information on leaded fuels and exhaust oxygen
sensors. The subject of leaded fuel and its effects seems to be one with
much emotion and urban legend, so I am looking for verifiable references
or production examples.
Leaded fuel is still alive and well in New Zealand and a lambda sensor
seems to me to be a fairly high priority in an EFI system that is to be
developed and tuned mostly without a dyno.
This may be an arguable point, so lets just say that I 'want' to run
leaded fuel and I would 'like' a lambda sensor.
Does anybody have any experiences with cars with EFI and no cat from the
factory ?
One (self appointed) 'expert' has told me that heated sensors show no
appreciable degradation.
Any pointers appreciated.

Steve.