Lambda & Lead

The Chou duo NACHOU at koppa1.delcoelect.com
Fri Mar 17 18:09:06 GMT 1995

> One (self appointed) 'expert' has told me that heated sensors show no
> appreciable degradation.

I once met a SEO (self appointed expert) who told me that he had bought
a special lead tolerant lambda sensor.  I didn't think this was truly
possible given the chemistry of the sensors.  My theory is to choose a
second hand sensor which is cheap and easy to get and then to replace
it if there are any problems.  So far, there haven't been any.  :-)

Does anyone have any real evidence that heated sensors tolerate lead
better? I've heard this claim from various sources, which usually
sold heated O2 sensors, so they were far from impartial.  In speaking
with a O2 sensor guy here, he failed to see how a heated sensor could
have any affect on their lead tolerance, as they'll have to be heated
a heck of a lot to "burn off" any lead.  The reason heated sensors
are used in production is simply to allow closed loop op quicker, and
the O2 sensor can now be put further away from the heat source.  If
anyone has performed any legit studies, I'd be very interested.
Tom (or Nellie) Chou,  nachou at koppa1.delcoelect.com
(317)451-7970 (Tom), 7619 (Nel), 317-868-9672 (evenings)
Unless indicated otherwise, the opinions expressed here are personal
& NOT an official statement of General Motors / Delco Electronics.