Ignition coil saturation time

HENRY CRAIG STEVEN csh5742 at decster.uta.edu
Fri Mar 24 22:00:35 GMT 1995

The Question has been:

> ..
> >The answer for your coil can be found by trial and error. Build a variable
> ..
> >   |_____|-----|
> >A  B     C     D
> >
> >A is the before switch on time
> ..
>

> Does anyone remember the amps vs. time equation for an L-R coil load?  This
> would help the thinking on the tradeoff between coil *energy* (as others
> previously posted) and rise time for the current till saturation.
>
> Isn't it something like I = V / R *(1-e^-((L/(R*t))) ?

The equation is i(t) = V/R [1-exp(-(R/L)t)]

However, I may be just blowing in the breeze here, but if you want to
quickly figure a proper charge time then draw a simple R-L circuit then
find i(t) by arbitarily choosing the direction of the current around the
loop and obtain an equation.  Note that the current in the inductor at t=0
is ~0, since the current in the inductor cannot change from zero to some
value instantaneously.

Take the Laplace transform and use the initial condition i(0)=0, then take
the inverse Laplace transform and you should get the eq.:
  i(t) = V/R[1-exp(-(R/L)t)]

Ploting i(t) vs time will show the circuit reaches aproximatly 98%
steady-state at 4 time-constants (4 tau),  or aprox 92% at 3 tau.

Therfore, IMHO I would look at the available charge-time for the
smallest engine period (Max rpm), then select a proper time constant between
3-tau to 4-tau that does not exceed 4tau.

 That would be my $.02 if I had any. (money not sense, I mean cents).

 Craig Henry
 University of Texas @ Arlington
 Mechanical Engineering
 csh5742 at decster.uta.edu