efi332 questions

Rod Barman rodb at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 25 01:52:18 GMT 1995

>I assume that the 332 was primarily chosen for the TPU facilities. Does
>this infer that there is some advantage to using the TPU for spark and
>fuel timing over the facilities in the 67F687 ? This device just seems
>to be the ideal way to implement a DIY system. The tedious part is all
>done leaving what I would consider the more interesting software to be
>done.

The TPU has equivalent/superior functionality to the 67F687.  The '332
is more common than a 67F687 and cheaper too when you fold in all the
costs.  One could still tack a 67F687 onto a efi332 board.  As Andy V.
pointed out, the TPU is reprogrammable.  I've loaded different code into
it I got off of the Moto bbs.  They have a free assembler for it etc.
See early posting etc. for the rational.

>I'm still told by my supplier that the 332 is in short supply /
>allocation. Is this no longer the case in the US ?

I just ordered five from Hamilton Hallmark and two from a local
disributor that I received today.  It's about as good as it's gonna
get.  They are CANADIAN $45.  I think this is a pretty good deal. YMMV.
Try ordering SPAKMC68332... if all else fails.  This is a special 2-pack.

> If the
>intention is to produce something 3"x3", I would expect there to be
>another board to hold filters, fuse and power supply related components
>as these take a lot of space and dissipate heat.

The processor board is only a basic board. There might by a regulator
on it but nothing fancy.  This is up to the 2nd board.

--rod.

--
Rod Barman, IRIS ISDE-6 @ Laboratory for Computational Intelligence
University of British Columbia