efi332 questions

Steve Baldwin steveb at kcbbs.gen.nz
Sat Mar 25 01:37:15 GMT 1995

I have a few questions about the efi332 board.

I assume that the 332 was primarily chosen for the TPU facilities. Does
this infer that there is some advantage to using the TPU for spark and
fuel timing over the facilities in the 67F687 ? This device just seems
to be the ideal way to implement a DIY system. The tedious part is all
done leaving what I would consider the more interesting software to be
done.
I'm still told by my supplier that the 332 is in short supply /
allocation. Is this no longer the case in the US ?
I'd started laying out a circuit based around the 68306 as it has the
same core, uart, blah blah, is cheaper and available. Assuming the use
of the 67F687, I couldn't see a good reason to use the 332.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating any change in course with efi332.
Something's happening and I'd rather see that continue.

An area that does concern me a bit is that until now there has been no
mention of power supply conditioning. On automotive products that I have
worked on in the past (taximeters, printers, and others), we were using
a fairly large chunk of the available PCB space for this purpose. If the
intention is to produce something 3"x3", I would expect there to be
another board to hold filters, fuse and power supply related components
as these take a lot of space and dissipate heat.

Steve.