Ion Gap Sense Questions

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Wed Mar 29 05:58:46 GMT 1995

Rod writes,

> The reason I'm interested in high tension measurement is that it
> would make putting the system on an engine with a distributor-based
> ignition system possible.

Before I arrived, other researchers in our thermo labs had experimented
with various methods of measuring ion-gap voltage by measuring the secondary
voltage directly.  They got no-where.  The spike was enough to zap any
protection devices that they had available at the time.  I'm not going to
bother trying - instead I plan to use one dual fire coil per cylinder
with my detection circuit on the unused secondary output.

> >Robert 'it looks like it's time to convert to multiple coils' Dingli
>
> Any suggestions on what's a suitable available coil for this?

I've got some Delco and Ford (??) dual coils handy.

Robert
             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 344 7966                           (+613) 344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA