BMW 750iL

H. Blemings hugh at asi1.anutech.com.au
Mon May 8 22:48:12 GMT 1995

On Mon, 8 May 1995, Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) wrote:

> I believe that one of the first vehicles to have this "drive by wire"
> throttle control was the BMW 750iL, first produced in the late 1980s.  I
> can't recall any other specific vehicles that have this, although there must
> be some.  The cars with traction control using the throttle may have "drive
> by wire."  BZ

I was lucky enough to at least sit in one of these cars, they were a
beautiful sounding V12.  The thing I though was rather neat was that to
start the engine you simply toggled the key to the start position and
released it, the EFI automatically cranked the engine till it fired and
bought it up to a comfortable idle.  I'm not sure if this has been done on
other vehicles but it was certainly an impressive bit of engineering.

There was also a story around at the time that told of when the mechanics
were being trained in Germany, the instructor would start the engine and
comment on how smooth the engine sounded.  Then he would re-enable the
other bank of cylinders :)

Nice motor car.

Cheers,
Hugh