air-fuel ratio to temp

Ed Lansinger elansi01 at mpg.gmpt.gmeds.com
Fri May 12 02:08:59 GMT 1995

Peter asked,

>Ed,
>
>That was a superb (waffle free) reply. I'm impressed!
>
>There is only one thing missing. Could you put some actual numbers on it?
>What was the temperature of the exhaust at stoichiometric?
>Peter Wales
>Superchips Inc                          "Timing is everything"

Heywood gives measured EGT of about 910K at stoichiometric for the
engine in the experiment running at 1250RPM, 379 imep, and MBT
spark timing.  This went down to about 875K at lambda=0.7 and
lambda=1.2.  Retarding spark to achieve a 10% increase in fuel
consumption shifted the temperature curves up almost 75K.

I'm sorry I can't report my own results :(.  In any case,
what I was testing was quite outside of the region most people on this
list are interested in, i.e. high MAP and high RPM, and therefore of
little public benefit.

Ed Lansinger
General Motors Powertrain
Powertrain Control Center