Throttle Plate Control

Mike Wesley - SLIP mwesley at oeonline.com
Fri May 19 01:03:51 GMT 1995

On Mon, 15 May 1995 Lfaustini at aol.com wrote:

> On the idea of rev-limiting... (I didn=92t want to re-quote the previous =
sets
> of messages)..
>=20
>     The idea of dropping fuel injectors during a very-high-stress conditi=
on
> in the engine (I.E. at 5k and up RPMs) scares me.. Forgive my ignorance, =
but
> doesn=92t the fuel in the air-fuel mixture help cool and lubricate the to=
p-half
> of the piston and rings? Remember, internal horsepower losses due to fric=
tion
> loss grow at approximately the SQUARE of the RPM's, so at high speeds the
> lubrication of the piston is extremely important.  I don't claim to be an=
 expe
> rt on the dynamics of lubrication (or anything else for that matter), but=
> do know that if you tried that trick on a 2-stroker you would be running =
> the machine shop with tears in your eyes and a feeling of loss in your po=
cket.

I'd imagine you'd really be in serious trouble with the 2 stroke since=20
the fuel carries the lubricant (most of the time).What I was talking=20
about with cutting out fuel and spark doesn't hurt anything (Ford and=20
others do it). A few years ago I built a spark only rev limiter that=20
would cut the spark at whatever RPM you selected (you could ramp it in).=20
Problem was when the spark was gone, the fuel was still being injected=20
and pushed through the exhaust port. RPM comes down to a safe level,=20
spark starts to come back on and you lite a big firebomb. I blew the=20
complete exhaust system off the car a few times. An exhuast system (or=20
engine for that matter) full of unburned A/F mixture makes one hell of a=20
bang!
Mike....