OEM EFI computers

Georg Siotis Georg.Siotis at analykem.lu.se
Wed May 31 08:23:48 GMT 1995

>Has anyone taken an old OEM EFI computer and modified for his own use?  I'm
>thinking about all of the EFI computers that must be out there on cars that
>are junked.  For example, I believe that Chrysler's use the 68HC11.  There
>must be thousands of these out on the road by now, with some available from
>junk yards for relatively low $$$.  Assuming that the firmware is stored in
>external ROM, it would be relatively easy to re-program.  BZ
>
>Bryan Zublin
>General Instrument, San Diego, CA, USA
>bzublin at po2.gi.com

I 've actually seen their asm-code on this HC11. It was a 68hc11a1 which
means that they have 256 Ram and 512 EEprom which can be used. What they
actually also have is 8K of ROM, but you can't access it if you not
reprogram the 'CONFIG' register. Motorola sells those chips as A1 instead of
A8, but they were meant to be sold to the company that ordered (some
thousands of) them. You could actually see some notices with Chrysler, so we
supposed it must be for their EFI -systems. I've even heard that BOSCH's RDS
radio-code could also be found on some 68HC11A1 and a0:s

Georg