Timed mechanical fuel injection

Carter Hendricks carterh at crl.com
Fri Nov 17 20:13:06 GMT 1995

Alfa Romeo used an interesting sequential mechanical injection system on
their USA cars from 1969-81. Many hours of my work has been spent making
these systems work. That isn't always easy. But it is an elegant analog
system which works well when properly tuned and adjusted [but no promises
about tomorrow]. Throttle response is very crisp, in part because of
individual throttles but also because of quick, high-pressure, -timed-
fuel delivery. Alfa had some experiences getting that event timing right
on the early systems. There have been some comments and questions on this
list concerning advantages of sequential injection. Is a description of
Alfa's system and its characteristics too boring, too off-the-track for
DIY-EFI?

					--Carter

[I've been reading the list in part because of my interest in
building a motor control for the mechanical pump's rack {variable
displacement plunger control}].