RE familia turbo..

Fred Miranda fcmefi at fishnet.net
Sat Nov 18 17:45:54 GMT 1995

>i've also put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust from the turbo, and increased the boost
>to approx. 15 lbs.  I have an aftermarket chip in the computer also, but i'm
>still experiencing (suspected) lean-out at about 5500 rpm.  this is really
>pissing me off, because the car should be happy to rev right to the redline,
>instead of only 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 thou rpm.

the turbo is really too small to be pushing that boost at higher RPM, back
pressure skyrockets up there. the air flow meter makes things even worse
as the turbo has to draw through the restriction and work at a higher
pressure ratio. putting the compressor further out of it's operating range.

>i've heard that the standard ecu (b660), even with 'hot' chips hits a
>maximum injector on time that can't be increased, hence the 'hot' chips
>don't do much.  does anyone know about this??  i want this maf replacement
>box to send higher air flow readings at high rpm, fooling the ecu, to solve
>this lean-out problem. But if the standard ecu hits a maximum injector
>on-time, then this is useless!!  in this case, the black box could control
>an auxiliary injector.  alternatively, could i just increase the fuel
>pressure, and tune the black box to send lower than actual air flow readings
>to the standard ecu??
I have heard of guys using Mazda turbo2 injectors and having the box
reprogramed.
these are 550cc/min, I am using Eclipse units-about 390cc/min with the TEC

>what turbo do you use?? what is different about it in relation to the
>standard one?? (i don't know too much about turbos!) and what boost are you
>using??
I curently have an overly large T3 turbine with an E40 comp. this combo will
make 15psi at 3krpm but only in 4th-5th gears as it's a bit slow to spool up.
but it does pull well up to redline and I am running 17psi or so.
the previous turbo I tried was an Airodyne which had awsome responce
and ok top end but it blew up running 18psi.
next I may try a smaller T3 or T28 to get some responce back

Warren, you might want to email me directly if you have any further
questions as I think this topic may be too boring for this group.

Fred