Timed mechanical fuel injection

Lawrence S. Harris III lharris at crl.com
Tue Nov 21 19:41:36 GMT 1995

> Not all of this discussion is DIY, but sometimes it is easier to get to the
> races by just doing it like "they" do, instead of totally re-inventing the
> wheel. Personally, I don't have enough "real" engineering training or
> electronics, or C-programming education to really do a true DYI_EFI, but I
> have built several systems around existing programmable controllers while
> building my own hardware (manifolds, air-doors, fuel supply, etc.). Still
> very rewarding and a must for engines that would otherwise have to use a
> carb(s), meaning that no EFI system is currently being produced... example,
> Chrysler Hemi. Even a shitty EFI beats a Holley(s).

I'd say you are mostly correct.  I've come to hate carbs and the people
who claim that they are easier to work on.  That's a load of bull, and
oem systems are wonderful in the way the car debuggs itself with
diagnostics.  I'm currently helping a friend get a carb (with support
electronics which happen to have a rather archaic design) vehicle running
properly again, and its a royal pain.  Of cource 90% of the automotive
enthusiats are a bunch of yahoos anyway, which I find a shame.

I would do one thing different to your description, though.  I would
write (or rather am writing) my DIYEFI in assembly language.  If an
individual is going to get intimate with hardware, they should not be
afraid of embracing it more closely.  I on the otherhand, wish I had your
mechanical abilities for fabrication of support hardware.

Keep up the EFI retrofits...
Larry