No Subject

Whitney, Jim WHITNEY at volpe1.dot.gov
Wed Nov 22 18:57:52 GMT 1995

DIY Members -

Am looking for information on the Starion ('87 Intercooled) fuel computer. I
am familiar with the basic unit, but am wondering if the processor is  a
'generic' or proprietary ?
I have read of some conversions using Electromotive systems, which sounds
great except for the cost (after sensors, throttle bodies, software,
manifold....). There is also the question of legality (Any feedback on that
issue ? i.e. this is not an 'improvement' of the stock system - 2 injectors
mounted in a single throttle body, but an entirely 'different' system. i.e.,
even if the installed system can pass emissions, there is still the question
of 'the visual' inspection. I know there is the possibility of getting
waivers, but this sounds like more song and dance than my patience will
tolerate).

Jim Whitney
whitney at volpe1.dot.gov
Many Alfas ('56 Spider-1971 GTV)
Several Mits Starions

P.S. Two articles of interest. Sort of old, but still great reading.

1 - Howard, J.W. and Berry, R.D. "New State-of-the-Art in Engine Controls",
      #810061
2 - Freimark, R.J. "Cost Effective Engine Controls", #810157

I believe both are from the 1981 SAE Yearbook.