DIY_EFI abilities and older engines

Tim Eldridge teldridg at holli.com
Sun Nov 26 04:35:10 GMT 1995

	I am fairly new to the list and have read with interest the discussions
about diy_efi and older engines. I am currently working on a senior design
project to design and operate an injection system on my 1963 Corvair. The
Corvair currently has the original dual carb setup. I plan on replacing the
carbs with throttle body units from a General Motors 1.8 or 2.0 engine. I do
have a microprpcessor unit made by a company which is no longer in business
( which may not bode well for my system but we'll see...) it is based on the
Hitachi 64180 (a z80 clone??) it has 24 I/O lines with an 8 input A/D
convertor on board as well as the ability to burn eproms. The questions I
have are: how much will I have to worry about ignition noise ( I plan on
leaving the current timing setup alone that will have to be dealt with
outside of my project). Also I plan on using a MAP sensor to determine
engine loading. The information for the fuel map came from a General Motors
Stock Engine Test Report that I obtained from an aftermarket Corvair parts
vendor  ( the same reports may be available for older V8 engines but dont
ask me where you could look I am strictly Corvair). If anyone has any
comments or advice it would be very much appreciated...