C for embedded controllers

Matt Sale mds at mot.delcoelect.com
Tue Nov 28 21:03:53 GMT 1995

> Bruce Bowling writes:
>
> >I am surprised there is not a war between C and C++, instead of
> >assembler vs. C.
> >I will start one........
> >I have been using C++ on a major project (a accelerator simulation)
> >for the last year, and my conclusion is that C++ is
> >useful if the problem you are working on can be easily
> >represented by objects.  Otherwise, use C.
> >[...]
> >Using C++ on an embedded processor code, with virtual functions
> >and the like, could lead to suicide (yours).
>
> I would be honored to pick up a gauntlet thrown by such a worthy
> opponent!
>
> I found object-oriented methods to be quite useful in designing a
> fuel injection system.  I found C++ to be an effective language
> when used to code the design.
>
> In 1994 I produced a running EFI system for a Formula SAE car.  The
> software was written almost entirely in C++ (including interrupt

Then why do you claim in part 1 of your Circuit Cellar INK series
that "The code is in assembly."  You go on to say "The impact of the
overhead to support objects in assembler was insignificant, ..."  Which
is it, C++ or assembler, both, or neither?

By the way, the Circuit Cellar series was good, but lacked actual
code or schematics.  Most Circuit Cellar articles contain enough
info to actually build something.  Are you willing to make more
information available?

--
Matthew D. Sale
Delco/Motorola Joint Design Center      E-mail: mds at mot.delcoelect.com