DIY_EFI abilities and older engines

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Wed Nov 29 04:16:28 GMT 1995

>>>    As sort of a "beginner project", I'd like to build a ignition
>>>advance computer, using one of the 80's electronic distrutors as a
>>>starting point.   I'll do DIS later....  (see questions in next mail)
>>
>>I think we'll probably be asking each other questions on the DIS system. :)

I am also working on my own EST box.  It will use a 68HC11 and interface to
a standard HEI distributor with the 4 wire connector. This system will be
retrofitted into my 1966 Chevelle.

I have completed so far:

about 80% of the hardware design.
software scheduler to execute code & track engine run time.
for instrumentation:
        Dual LCD displays
        Keypad
        S/W to log out a memory location with bargraph.
        s/w to edit a memory location.

am working on s/w to do RS232 communication: memory edit and dump for
interface to a PC or 'HC11 scan tool with the display and keypad instead of
the target controller having them.

For calibration development RAM will be used in place of eprom for program
and eeprom for calibrations (this allows editing)

Depending on how much time I have to spend I expect to have a very
functional unit running on the bench next spring.

The frist cut alogrithim will generate spark advance from RPM and MAP

It will also use a S/W watchdog timer and have keep alive memory.

If you guys would like to discuss it further email me at

jwharris at holli.com

later
J.W. Harris                                          Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                                     One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                               M.S. CT40C
                                                     Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at kocrsv01.delcoelect.com

Of course, all responses are my own and should not be mistaken for those of
Delco Electronics or General Motors.