EFI and leaded gas

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Wed Nov 29 16:03:26 GMT 1995

At 07:09 AM 11/29/95 -0500, you wrote:

>I just signed up to this list yesterday, and I have a question about EFI
with leaded gas.
>If leaded gas is death to O2 sensors, how can the EFI run in a closed loop
mode?

That's a good question. I don't use closed loop on the stuff I have
developed for aircraft, just because I have had some problems with the
sensors getting strange after they get coated with lead, which doesn't take
long. I don't recommend running lead in anything anyway, but in developing a
V8 for aircraft, I did away with closed loop just in case you were forced to
run lead due to being at an airport somewhere that didn't have mogas. I
really haven't found a solution for being able to run closed loop with lead,
but at the same time, I haven't has a real problem with getting the engines
to run right either. It really helps to be able to modify the curve
extensivly... the HalTech box seems to be the best at this.

I am hoping that "no closed loop" will be taken into consideration with
those that are planning to market there eventual DYI's.

If there is anyone out there that has figured out how to make the sensors
behave with lead, I would be really interested in how you did it.

-j-