EFI and leaded gas

thomas walter x5955 walter at roadster.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 29 22:44:12 GMT 1995

>If leaded gas is death to O2 sensors, how can the EFI run in a closed loop
> mode?

Of O2 sensors, I use a heated NTK sensor... mounted into slip fit tube
that slides onto the tail pipe once the car is warm. Quick blast up
a few hills to get an idea If I had a lean condition under load.

Back to aircraft...
For LONG TERM measurements, it would be worth while to monitor the
Exhaust gas temp with thermocouples (common for aircraft) to get
an idea of the operating condition. Fun part with be to slightly
change the mixture at cruise, recording all the paramters. This
should giv you a baseline reading. While O2 sensors are quicker
to respond, you could develope a "cruising closed loop" system.

CAVEAT: I haven't done it, just thought this would be ONE way of
attempting such a beast.

Cheers,

Tom Walter         target EFI: 1972 Datsun 510
Austin, TX.        next item: custom EFI intake manifold
                   (anyone recommend any powder coaters in TX? email me)
walter at roadster.sps.mot.com