Propane Motor Fuel Injection

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Nov 30 04:06:08 GMT 1995

Dan Elsberg writes:

> I heard of an HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) team using compressed natural
> gas (CNG) and I asked them specifically about the metering and pressure
> regulating problem.  If I remember correctly they had a regulator at the
> output of the CNG main tank (actually a pressure transducer and a solenoid
> valve, but that may not be necessary) leading into a plenum or reserve
> tank.  It simply opened and closed the valve to keep the desired pressure
> in the plenum and injected off of there.  I know the engine runs so I guess
> it worked.

That sounds like the regulator from a Stewart-Stevenson/GFI setup.  I
used on on my carburated CNG vehicle because it made a nice package.
The regulator itself is nothing fancy, its just your typical ~3000psi to
~140psi adjustable regulator.  THe reason i used it was because it also
had the integral solenoid to provide a postivie fuel shut off and the
pressure transducer on the highpressure side that i could use for my
fuel-level gauge--a much cleaner package than individual components.
Oh, it also had a water jacket.  If you just need a regulator without
the extra gadgets, check out a company called Meco (look in Thomas
Register?).  They make all sorts of regulators, including ones designed
for CNG.  If you can tell them what input pressure, output pressure, and
flow rate you are thinking about they probably make something that will
fit the bill (if its possible).

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.edge.net/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700