EFI and leaded gas

ARTHUR OKUN arthurok at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 30 06:29:04 GMT 1995

You wrote:

>One thing to remember about lead in gas, is that it sticks to
everything.
>Remember in the old days the white build up on the spark plugs that
would
>foul them up in a hurry.  Ever wonder why plugs will last 50K miles
any
>more.  Well guess what, the same thing will happen to an O2 sensor.
That
>film of lead on the sensor will seal out any gasses like siran wrap on
>leftovers.  And there is no way of burning it off.  One more thing to
keep
>in mind, antifreeze and certian types of silicone rubber will also
ruin a O2
>sensor.  So if you blow a head gasket then likely the O2 sensor will
need
>changing.  Also make sure that any selants used on an engine, ie
intake, are
>marked O2 sensor safe.  Electrically be sure to never apply any type
of
>voltage to an O2 sensor, and that includes trying to measure the
resistance,
>the element is very sensitive.  By the way I have heard of unleaded
racing
>gas but dont ask where it can be found.
>
>Hope that the info is of some help.
>
>David J. Doddek
|pantera at dris.com
>Owner SGD Electronics & Development Engr for Caterpillar |h 309
685-7965
>Formula SAE Team Sidewinder 94-95                        |w 309
578-2931
>89 T-bird SC,  69 Fairlane w/SGD EFI                     |fx 217
428-4686
>74 Pantera w/Electromitive Tec-II Twin turbos and Nitros |
>Hey, If you are going to go fast, go REEEAAL FAST.       |
>
>i read in flying mag afew years back that the goverment
was trying to outlaw  leaded gasoline for general aviation use
and i read an article on a cessna skyhawk  that was equiped with
an automotive type cat. conv. for use in  germany
i even use unleaded in my  lawn mower
as far as iam concerned leaded gas as someone else mentioned causes
sludge the only thing it helps prevent is valve guide seizeing and
exhaust valve burning
most light aircraft engines that ive seen are based on designs
from the 50s or earlier and their fuel inj. systems are
ww2 design bendix