More Inductive Pickup

m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com m_mcdonald at marx.ENET.dec.com
Thu Nov 30 22:00:33 GMT 1995

> I was told that an inductive pickup (from a timing light) will
> produce enough current to flash an LED.  I have not tried this yet,
> however, I am wondering if the pulse width from a spark is long
> enough to "see".  What is an "average" length of a spark?

> - Bruce

I doubt that the current from a timing light's inductive pickup will
flash an LED.  However, this current can be amplified inside the timing
light to flash a bright Xenon? lamp.

Inexpensive pen-size detectors are available from (gasp) J.C. Whitney
and Snap-on Tools and other automobile tool suppliers.  Holding these
detectors near any spark plug wire will show the presence of high
voltage as a flashing light inside the detector.

At idle speeds, most modern ignition systems should produce a spark
that jumps an air gap of at least 3/8" and displays a solid blue
color.  Be careful doing this by removing a spark plug wire while
the engine is running because you could get zapped, especially if
you remove it with one bare hand and brace yourself to a metal part
of the car with the other hand.  Inexpensive variable air gaps, that
connect the end of a spark plug wire inside its boot to ground via
the air gap, are available.

Marll   KB1AGM