ALDL Data Stream Decoding

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Mon Oct 2 15:36:20 GMT 1995

Martin Evans <100341.377 at COMPUSERVE.COM> Wrote:

| On Mon, 18 Sep 95 jwharris at holli.com (J.W. Harris) wrote:
|
| >I was at a SAE OBDII toptec and found this out about avialability of
ALDL
| >data information:
|
| >The final rule for avialability of emission service related information
| >is contained in the Federal Register Vol. 60, No. 153, Wednesday,
| >Aug., 9 1995.  Page 40474.
|
| >This rule requires manufacturers to make avialable all serivce
information
| >supplied to dealers at a reasonable cost.
|
| >There is an online computer system called FedWorld which can be accessed

| >up to 3 hours a day at 703-321-3339.  This tells what is available,
where
| >and the cost.  It can be also accessed by telneting to fedworld.gov.
|
| >The Equipment and Tool Institute, 1806 Johns Drive, Glenview, IL
60025-1657
| >708-729-8550, 708-729-3670 (fax) provides a annual forum called the
Domestic
| >Tech Week where (scan)tool makers meet with the big three to discuss new
| >model changes including Class II data stream information.
|
| Has anyone followed this up and obtained the specs for ALDL or found
| out what reasonable cost is?

Or if it applies to pre OBD-II cars?   Diagnostic info and connectors will
be the same for all makes and models when OBD-II is implemented, but does
this mean that they are going to release the ALDL info for cars built in
the 80s up until now?

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...