Splitfire plugs (was Ig. Book)

ARTHUR OKUN arthurok at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 4 05:34:31 GMT 1995

You wrote:

>Steve Ravet writes:
>>The fact that the electrode is split makes no difference.
>>Only one arc will form.  The only way to get simultaneous
>>arcs would be to  have two wires, and either two coils or a
>>single dual output coil.   Otherwise the arc (like humans :-)
>>will take the path of least resistance.
>
>Steve,
>In an attempt to gain vital (if only minute) increments in HP I
>tried a set of these plugs in my Formula Vee (Aussie version).  I
>didn't have two wires/coils or a dual output coil.
>As I expected, I was not knocked over by any performance
>increase.  The (race) circuit we tested on was about 3 km long
>with 13 turns.  I would have thought the plugs were good for a
>few tenths at least over that distance.
>We were unable to measure any difference in lap times.  Thats not
>to say there were none, just that we couldn't measure any due to
>other factors - eg driver inconsistency, lapped cars etc.  After
>using the plugs I decided to pull one out and run the motor with
>the plug resting on the crankase.  To my amazement the arc
>occasionally DID fire simultaneously to both "sides" of the
>elctrode - forming a bright "V".  I saw it with my own eyes!
>What puzzled me slightly though, was the inconsistency with which
>it occurred, about 1 in 10 or 20.  I also wondered if this arcing
>was only occuring at 1 in 10, with motor idleing (best case for
>coil energy build up), then when running with higher revs and
>cylinder turbulence, what would happen then?
>
>One of these days I pland to build an ignition test bench.  Any
>body else done this ?
>
>Still wondering...
>Danny Wallace
>wallad at devetwa.edu.au

 AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED  AFRESH SET OF  THE PROPER "CHAMPION"OR
EQUIVILENT PLUGS WILL WORK JUST  AS WELL .
THE ONLY ONES THAT SEEM KIND OF INTERESTING ARE THE NEW BOSCH PLATINUM
FINE WIRE TYPE BUT I KNOW SOMEONE WHO USED A SET BUT HAD CARBON
FOWLING PROBLEMS ON AN OVERLY RICH ENGINE  ALSO A ENGINEER FRIEND
OF MINE SUGGESTS REPLACING INSTED OF CLEANING BECAUSE OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF INSULATOR CRACKING