Bosch Platinum Plugs

Sam L. Smith Sam.L.Smith at i-link.net
Wed Oct 4 12:23:29 GMT 1995

I have used Bosch Platinim plugs for a number of years in a number of
different engines, and have noted subjective HP increase and very
long life (never felt compelled to change or even examine plugs).

This would be a glowing review except...

Once in my wife's 360 C.I.D. Ramcharger, she came home complaining of
a miss and loud popping sound under the hood.  On examination, I
noticed that one of the Bosch Platinum plugs had a leak between the
insulator and the body.  When attempting to remove the plug for
replacement, the body twisted off at the top of the threads, leaving
me with the insulator and hex part of the plug body in my hand!
Excessive torque was not to blame here; the body twisted off very
easily.

Although this could have been a *major* bummer, I was able to remove
the remainder of the shell with a large 'easy-out' and avoided having
to disassemble the engine.

Although I love the performance of these plugs, I am hesitant to use
them again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Bosch Platinum (or
other brands, for that matter)?

Sam

-----
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

Sam_L_Smith at i-link.net                Sam L. Smith