Modifing O2 output

Black Feather Electronics douglas at kaiwan.com
Wed Oct 4 12:30:28 GMT 1995

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Robert Gallant wrote:

> I need to modify the output of my O2 sensor (specifically I need to drop the
> voltage my computer sees from the sensor).

I called around to many places to find out what the output is on most O2
sensors and it seems they are mostly 0 to 1 volt output.

The way to test this is to take your sensor, put it into a vice and fire
up your propane torch.

The sensor must get hot before it puts out proper voltage, but you will
find when you put the torch all the way up to the sensor (making it full
of propane) there will be no oxygen there so it will read as if there was
none.

Interesting what you can come up with in your garage sometimes!

Please don't use your cutting / welding torch on it, the thing isn't
superman. Notice I said PROPANE.

The best way to change the voltage to a lower voltage would be a resistor
devider, using 100K or 50K.

If you are going to use a op amp, you need to watch out for NOISE being
amplified or picked up by the op amp.

Suggest you connect a 1 uf or 10 uf cap like this....

SENSOR ----------RESISTOR---------------------OPAMP INPUT>>>>

                               10 uf CAP

                                 -----
                                  ---
                                   -

This should filter out any noise, but you have to pick a CAP that will
allow your computer to read changes within the time you want (meaning a
10 uf CAP will show changes slower than a 1 uf).

You can also get a pretty good reading in your driveway, at idle. When
you rev up the car, pumping on the pedal to make it real rich, the
reading changes quite a bit. Plus you can run a extension cord out to
your scope! You will also get to see the noise your circuit is picking up.

The people next door might think you are a bit strange, but arn't we all?

Some of these stupid sensors are only one wire, and depend on a chassis
ground for a return. I added my own ground wire for sense as near the
sensor as I could.

Black Feather Electronics       |  Home of the U-HC11 Microcontroller
645 Temple 7B                   |  Boards, Kits and other 68HC11 stuff
Long Beach  California  90814   |  Email for info or visit the www page
Info & Orders: (800) 526-3717   |  InterNet: BFE <douglas at kaiwan.com>
Tech Support:  (310) 434-5641   |  Web: "http://www.kaiwan.com/~douglas"