Fuel injection questions - -

Andrew Dennison ADEN at mechman.mm.swin.edu.au
Thu Oct 5 23:48:37 GMT 1995

> > >	Odd thought... with a SENSITIVE air pressure switch in the intake
> > >	manifold, I wonder if it would be possible to detect the closing of
> > >	the intake valve... i.e. for sequential timing WITHOUT using a camshaft
> > >	sensor. Any comments?
> > >

> What advantage would the MAP-based data have over the camshaft sensor-based
> data?  I'd prefer the most direct measurement of the quantity of interest
> (valve position in this case).

I think you would require the crank sensor for accurate timing
information, however the MAP pulses could be suitable for determining the
optimum injector closing time. Sequential injection is only really
useful for low loads to reduce fuel consumption and slightly increase
torque - it isn't really necessary if you only care about power!

Andrew