Mail for:- n.mulvana at e-eng.hull.ac.uk

Brian Lane blane at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 16 15:10:20 GMT 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Jonathan R. Lusky wrote:

> William Turner writes:
> >
> > Also, FWIW, the problem lies with the mailing-list program. It should not
> > have bounced bounced messages onto the list.
>
> No, the problem is the mail daemon at Hull.  It is in violation of section
> 4.4.4 of RFC822.  Any messages concerning erros in transport or delivery
> should be sent to the address designated by the "Sender" header.

  That's true, but the mailing list program should also protect against
it. I deleted all the bounces so I can't check, but when a message is
bounced, isn't there a unique header added that can be checked? I think
that the SmartMail program checks for this to protect against bounce
loops like this.

   Brian