Looking for a wheel speed sensor...

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 19 00:16:45 GMT 1995

Chris Howard asks,

> I'm currently building a data logger for a thesis project and I need a wheel
> speed sensor. I'm thinking of using a proximity sensor with a magnetic
> trigger on the front hub. Does anyone know of a suitable sensor and where I
> could get one from ? (I'm in Sydney but anywhere will do!)
>
> I am also considering getting a crank position sensor from an engine to
> perform this task. Is anyone familiar with a particular make/model of engine
> with one of these which might be suitable?

Chris,

Radio Spares carries a range of suitable sensors in both anologue and digital
output forms.  The digital output version tends to be too sensitive for efi
but may work well for your application if you dont want to spend too long
building an interface.  As for OEM parts, any of the local car dealers
(Holden or Ford for example) will carry suitable analogue output units which
should work well.  They are also generally cheaper than RS parts.  Try a
current model Ford Falcon crank trigger sensor.

Robert Dingli

             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 9344 7966                          (+613) 9344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA