Looing for a wheel speed sensor...

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Thu Oct 19 01:58:15 GMT 1995

> > Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 00:55:04 +1000
> > From: Chris Howard <choward at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>
> > Subject: Looking for a wheel speed sensor...
> >
> > I'm currently building a data logger for a thesis project and I need a wheel
> > speed sensor.  I'm thinking of using a proximity sensor with a
> > magnetic trigger on the front hub.  Does anyone know of a suitable
> > sensor and where I could get one from ?  (I'm in Sydney but anywhere
> > will do!)
> >
> How about an ABS wheel speed sensor from an ABS equipped car.
> Check out the Wrecking Yards. The sensitivity (in terms of pulses
> per revolution) should be quite good on it too.
>
> Andre Roy
> North Bay, Ontario

FWIW, you can buy inductive sensors from RS, Farnell etc. These range
from just a sensing head (ie coil of wire) right up to signal
conditioned, digital signal out (expensive).

Most of these sensors, when used as reluctors when you get a voltage
pulse out of the sensor when a metallic object goes past. There is
normally a minimum speed the object is reqired to go. An ABS sensor if
reasonably priced is probably the best bet (temperature tolerance).

It might be worthwhile to put the hub in a lathe and skim off a fraction
of the top of the bolt heads so the sensor can run as close as possible.

Cheers,
Craig.