Looking for a wheel speed sensor...

Clint Sharp clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 20 04:46:45 GMT 1995

In your message dated Wednesday 18, October 1995 you wrote :
> > From: Chris Howard <choward at extro.ucc.su.oz.au>
>
> > I'm currently building a data logger for a thesis project and I need a wheel
> > speed sensor. I'm thinking of using a proximity sensor with a magnetic
> > trigger on the front hub. Does anyone know of a suitable sensor and where I
> > could get one from ? (I'm in Sydney but anywhere will do!)
>
> Industrial automation uses proximity switches, so any place that builds or
> services systems like that would have magnetic proximity sensors.
> You can also ask for a sample from a distributor. Check the Yellow pages
> in the phone book.
You might want to enquire at a computer repair company for scrap Western Digital
 disk drives, the old 20\30\40 Mb MFM and IDE 3.5" drives use an externally
mounted speed sensor. The sensors might not be exactly what you need but if you
get a friendly engineer they would be free and, as such, pretty much ideal.
--
We apologise for the lack of coherent humorous comments.
 Normal service will be resumed shortly.
                       clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk