Wiring harness connectors / Conformal coating

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Wed Sep 20 22:49:51 GMT 1995

>On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, thomas walter x5955 wrote:
>
>> A few questions, which I did not see addressed in past email messages:
>>
>> Wiring Bulk head connectors:
>> While I would love to find the Male/Femal Bosch style connectors (made by
>> AMP,  but I have not found a source for them), I am curious as to what other
>> people are using?
>
>  I personally like the Weather-Pack connectors from Packard-Electric.
>You will have to go through a distributor like Bowman Industries.  But
>hang-on... they are expensive!
>
>Hope this helps!
>                  Craig Henry.

Packard makes some good stuff and their connectors are popular with the
aftermarket.  As far as cost, connector shells should be able to be salvaged
from a local junkyard for almost nothing.  Fabricate or buy a tool to remove
the pins.  Square pins can usually be released with a paper clip.  Round
pins need a very thin tube the exact diameter of the pin.  We made one in
college but it requires a precise lathe and a lot of patience.  Pins should
be available through a local GM dealer and they should be able to give you
the J-XXX numbers of the pin tools.  If your'e in a bind, the larger
weatherpack pins can be reused if a you carefully make a reliable soldered
connection.
J.W. Harris                                          Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                                     One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                               M.S. CT40C
                                                     Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at kocrsv01.delcoelect.com