Modifying O2 output

Robert Gallant gallant at oasys.dt.navy.mil
Thu Sep 28 19:47:38 GMT 1995

> What's your EGT like, Rob?  You may not even be able to get 800mv out of
> your EGO at idle...  (depends on the sensor).  On our M85 car, I
> couldn't even get 700mv at idle when I was blowing raw fuel out the
> exhaust (mega rich).  Anyway, it sounds like you need an open loop
> idle...  is there any way to set the holley system to go open loop
> below a certain TPS output?  Does the Holley system have a water
> temp threshold for going into closed loop?  If so, maybe you can put
> a throttle actuated double throw microswitch on the CTS lead and use
> two seperate coolant temp sensors with majorly different calibrations?
> (one thats guaranteed to keep you in open loop at idle).  You'd have an
> interesting spike in your coolant temp (fuel) correction curve (if you have
> one), but it might work :)

With the sensor disconnected from the computer, I measured .92 volts at idle.
Remember this is a rotary.  The higher EGT might help obtain the higer voltage
reading.

Open loop idle was one of the things holley was looking at doing for me.

Here's another question.  I had initially been told to look for a rapid increase
in EGT just before detonation occurs.  I think I saw it stated on this list that
EGT will drop during the onset of detonation.  Any idea which is correct.  I am
tuning for a conservative 1600 F at full throttle full boost.

Later

Rob
gallant at oasys.dt.navy.mil