Ignition Book

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Fri Sep 29 19:29:40 GMT 1995

~
~ Bruce writes:
~
~ > Dr. Jacobs is also a master in marketing.  I know of 4 instances where
~ > his so-called "computer" ignition was dyno-ed, and there was no gain
~ > over stock ignitions.  I saw one of their computers after it was
~ > un-potted, and it is nothing more than a CD ignition system.
~ > No computer (maybe an analog feedback circuit).
~
~ No ignition will do better than a stock one properly tuned with brand new
~ parts being tested on a dyno.  It's the ability to fire under less than
~ ideal conditions where the different designs make a difference.  I've
~ tested (with a friend who drag races semi-pro) dual point vs. GM HEI vs.
~ MSD 6 and found no repeatable significant difference in qtr. mile times
~ or trap speeds.  But, undoubtedly, one is going to stand out against the
~ others starting though fouled plugs at 10 below zero.  (Prob. the capacitive
~ discharge because it will put out full coil power down to 6V or so
~ battery voltage, plus CD is best at firing fouled plugs).
~
Absolutely!  But the Dr. touts that a measured gain of 15 HP can be had
by his box.  Just like his variable-reluctance magic coil will add
5 HP alone (hence the PhD in marketing).  They may help a oil-burner
or a gas-flooder run a little better, but the average car will
not get the gain stated.  And where is the computer which is
built-in the box?  Hard to see with all that potting compound.

There are a ton of CD ignitions out on the market, and what info I have
indicates that Jacobs box (for over $100.00) is on par with generic add-on
CD ignitions which can be bought from Whitneys (which has also sold
Jacobs ignitions) for $30.00.

MSD ignitions are also CD, but the added multiple spark is something
the others (like Jacobs) do not have.  They both put about 450 volts
across the coil, using a DC-to-DC converter.  MSD also does not
"pot" their boxes.

I used MSD ignitions when I raced, and so do most of the racers out
there.  I use this as a benchmark - racers will kill for thousandths
of a second, and will test everything under the sun.  Most use
MSD hands down.  There is a reason, and I do not think that
many racers buy the same thing as the competitor just to
be "in", they purchase equipment to win.

Given the choice between Jacobs and MSD-6A (which costs $118.00 from
Summit), I'd choose MSD (and have).

-Bruce

               Bruce A. Bowling
  Staff Scientist - Instrumentation and Controls
 The Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
                bowling at cebaf.gov
        http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling