Ignition Book

Carter Hendricks carterh at crl.com
Sat Sep 30 03:17:46 GMT 1995

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Neville Newman wrote:

> i dyno-tested an early Jacobs ignition (it was definitely the non-computer
> version) on my Fiat X1/9, compared to a Marelli Plex electronig ignition
> (no multi-spark, no CD).

                             For those who don't know, which -should- be
almost everyone, the "Marelli Plex" ignition was a GM HEI system [many of
the modules were of actual GM manufacture] fitted to a heat-sink/coil and
with a new distributor... provided as an OE crutch for Alfa Romeo's
last mechanical injection systems and later supplied as an aftermarket kit
for Alfas and FIATs. The HEI system is quite adequate for a 4 cylinder
engine even at pretty high rpm limits, and the energy level is high enough
as to have taught me the meaning [and feeling] of angina. Two weeks of chest
tightness after a little mistake on the distributor machine... never did tell
my wife...