Knock sensors.

Matthew Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Apr 1 19:40:00 GMT 1996

With all this talk about knock sensors, I thought that I'd add my two
bits.

When looking through the Haynes manual for my father's Oldsmobile ('86
Cutlass Ciera) the other day, it mentioned a knock sensor in the
electronics section. It stated that when the sensor detected knock, it
would go high or low (can't remember). It sounded like the sensor had a
filter built in so nothing else was required to detect knock.

Would something like this be adaptable to another engine, or would it be
too tuned to the particular GM engine? The section didn't mention which
engines it was installed on. The Tech 4 (aka Iron Duke) and I think a
carbed 3.1 V6 were available that year.

Matt.