Knock sensors.

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Mon Apr 1 21:30:50 GMT 1996

> With all this talk about knock sensors, I thought that I'd add my two
> bits.
>
> When looking through the Haynes manual for my father's Oldsmobile ('86
> Cutlass Ciera) the other day, it mentioned a knock sensor in the
> electronics section. It stated that when the sensor detected knock, it
> would go high or low (can't remember). It sounded like the sensor had a
> filter built in so nothing else was required to detect knock.
>
> Would something like this be adaptable to another engine, or would it be
> too tuned to the particular GM engine? The section didn't mention which
> engines it was installed on. The Tech 4 (aka Iron Duke) and I think a
> carbed 3.1 V6 were available that year.
>
> Matt.

Don't know about a '86 Olds, but the new GMs (in this case LT1 V8), the
knock sensor comes with a special module that goes into the PCM. They are
a matched set, and the service manual says to remove the module from
the old PCM if you have to replace the PCM for some reason.

Markus Strobl                96 Z28 6M Black/grph. Borla, !CAGS, PEG2, QLC
Dallas, Texas                1LE driveshaft,  Honker, T-tops,  CD, leather
F-member 9/93                13.87 @100.31 2.11 60ft  ----  27.5mpg @85mph