FW: RE: Multispark

john carroll jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Tue Apr 2 03:37:46 GMT 1996

I believe that the real advantage of the waste
spark system is that it relieves a DIS system of
determining and tracking which of two cylinders is
at TDC firing and which is at TDC exhaust.  A
sensor to watch the cam is unnecessy (cheaper, more
reliable).  There are half as many coils as spark
plugs (cheaper, more reliable). The system is
probably lighter ( " " ).

These systems pulse each injector each revolution,
two at a time.  One hit comes on the intake stroke,
the other on the back of the valve in the power
stroke.  Each pulse can last longer with out the
problems of overlapping injection timing.  This
greater on-time allows better resolution of the
fuel flow.  The software and hardware overhead are
both reduced.

If plating material from one plug electrode or the
other is a problem, one can switch the plug leads
from one side of the coil to the other
occasionally to even out the wear.

>I was under the impression that there were
benefits to waste fire - else
>why would anyone have used it at all? As for
wasting a spark, I thought it
>was firing the waste? I'm confoozed here! I have
been told that it reduces

(R)[SMTP:ehernan3 at ford.com]
>Sent: 	Monday, April 01, 1996 1:57 AM
>To: 	diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
>Subject: 	RE: Multispark stuff and other
thoughts

>"Why fire two plugs? Waste fire! I'd love to take
a shot at burning
>any unused fuel left in the chamber..."
>
>To what end? It will do you no good to burn charge
on the exhaust stroke
>because you won't get any work out of it. You
certainly risk
>burning exhaust valves and other downstream
components and if you
>are convinced that you have burnable charge left
in the chamber
>during the exhaust stroke, you should take actions
to prevent that
>condition, such as running excessively rich. The
term wastefire was
>coined because you waste a spark in unburnable
conditions.