Multispark stuff and other thoughts

Brad Sheridan bs73 at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 2 19:51:11 GMT 1996

Jim Pearl wrote:

> I was under the impression that there were benefits to waste fire - else
> why would anyone have used it at all? As for wasting a spark, I thought it
> was firing the waste? I'm confoozed here! I have been told that it reduces
> emissions - is this it's only saving grace?

 The reason its used in motorcycles is that it cuts the need for a cam
position sensor. All you need is a crank sensor, since you're firing the
plug every rotation instead of every other one. Also, on a inline 4, you
can make do with two coils and two trigger signals, when you'd need four
of each doing it the other way, or a distributor. It doesn't help power
output, I don't know about emissions.

Later,
Brad