EFI, waste spark

Edward Hernandez R ehernan3 at ford.com
Tue Apr 2 18:18:04 GMT 1996

"I disagree...Ford has quite a nice EFI system for the 4.9, and the
4.9 is quite a good engine, BTW. Why not just find a Ford pickup at
the wreckers and get what you need. BTW, it is not TBI, but MPFI."

Thanks for the compliment. For the record, however, the Fordspeak
term is SEFI(sequential EFI) or just EFI for couple years we
built bank to bank firing systems. And what everbody else calls TBI we
called CFI(Central FI). And what we call the 5.0L V8 is actually a
4.9L V8. And I'm still convinced that Scott Adams(Dilbert) works
here somewhere...

The big reason we use waste spark systems is because we went
distributorless, and didn't want to buy four, six or eight coils for
each engine. Waste spark lets us use half the number of coils. For SEFI engines, we still need the cam sensor, but we don't need it for
plain EFI(bank to bank) systems as John Carroll indicated in his post.

Ed Hernandez
Ford Motor Company, king of acronyms
ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com