Newbie enquiry

Land Shark lndshrk at xmission.com
Thu Apr 4 17:22:46 GMT 1996

At 11:53 AM 4/4/96 +0100, you wrote:

>I need to find out the interface requirements for the diagnostic connector
>in the engine bay in order to read the Fault codes and anything else that
>may be available.

 OK .. do you have an EPROM burner .. read me the EPROM, and we'll see
 whats in it .. if you can take a photo of the board, and digitize it,
 all the better!!

>I found the list of Motronic fault codes on the Web and spent ages in the
>car switching the ignition on and pumping the gas pedal, but the Engine
>Fault lamp wouldn't flash, so I guess it's too new a version (pity).

 If you are talking about the list on the BMW web pages, that is MY list,
 and is specific to BMW's made for sale in the US from 1988-1995

>My expertise is in microcontroller hardware and software design, so I'd
>be more than willing to share anything I come up with in exchange for the
>information.

 Sure enough ..

 Now very likely the processor is either 8051 based or 8096 based .. if you
 already have an EPROM dump (try and read it as a 27C512) you can look at the
 image .. or send it to me and I will ...

 The chronology SORTA goes like this ..

 Version          # Processors              uP Identity

  0                     1                       1802
  1                     1                       805x
  2                     2                      805x, MC68HC11ish
  3                     2                      805x, 8x196

 Jim