Outboard Motor Coils

John G. Napoli jgn at li.net
Thu Apr 11 14:26:08 GMT 1996

While reading several recent threads regarding distributorless ignition
systems, I began wondering if anyone has looked into the applicability of
marine -- specifically, outboard motor -- ignitions for automotive use.

I have a high-performance V6 two-stroke outboard on my boat that easily
spins 6,500 rpm -- I've gone as high as 7,500.  That's equivalent to 15,000
in a four stroke (without waste spark, of course).  Each cylinder gets its
own small coil.  This engine displaces 2.4 liters and is rated at about 300
HP.

Question 1:  Would these coils (and, possibly, their electronic controller)
have applicability in an automotive application?

This engine also uses unusual spark plugs.  There are no conventional
electrodes.  Looking end-on to the plug, it looks like an archery target --
three annular rings.  The center ring is the center electrode, the second
ring is the insulator, and the third ring is the outer electrode (case).
Viewed from the side, the plug is flat across, with the insulating ring
slightly recessed.  The spark occurs at any point across the faces of the
center and outer rings.  These plugs last a long time, and, of course, there
is no gap to adjust.

Question 2:  Has anyone used plugs like this, and to they have applicability
in an automotive application?

I can provide make and model info if there is any interest.

Regards,

John