Outboard Motor Coils

Rob Skala rskalard at ALPHA2.CURTIN.EDU.AU
Mon Apr 15 04:09:55 GMT 1996

> Yes, these are NGK plugs on my boat.  Now both two-strokes and rotaries have
> more power 'strokes' than four-stroke motors.  Is this significant?  What
> does it mean vis-a-vis four-stroke engines?
>

> Regards,
>
> John

I think the reason for these types of plugs, is not because of the power
strokes but rather that both types of engines consume oil design. It is
obvious with the two-strokes, but with the rotaries, oil is injected into
the engine to lubricate the apex seals and provide some degree of gas
sealing. For this reason, at low-speed operation, standard plugs would
tend to foul from the oil during operation. Using these types of plugs
will allow more reliable operation at low-speeds since there is more
electrode surface area. I hope this makes sense.

By the way, the NGK SD-xx plugs used in the rotaries are fired by
standard high energy igntion systems, not CDI systems, so they can be
used in a normal engine provided you can find the right heat-range for
your application. As an aside I once used one of these plugs in a 150cc
McCulloch chainsaw and it ran really well.....much better than with the
factory recommended plug !!!!

Regards,

Rob

Robert D Skala