Speed Density SFI -possible?

orlin steven jared orlin-s at rclsgi
Tue Apr 16 12:55:44 GMT 1996

> >Great.  I'll have to write to them and see what they offer.  What
> >do you consider 'decent' vacuum?
>
> Lets say: idles below 60kpa (12") and will cruise at resonable speeds
> below 70kpa (9").
> The main idea is, the more vacuum the better as the system operates
> over a wider range and will deal with altitude changes better.

That shouldn't be a problem.  I'm looking to build a 502BBC with
similar performance/displacement as my current ZZ3 350.  And it
gets 16" at idle.  Except with the 502, I'll want a slightly more
radical cam, to match up the fuel injection with and hopefully pull
around 550-600HP with 10:1 compression and pump gas.  My goal is
to simply make as much power as possible with pump gas, AND try
to get gas milege good enough for some high speed cruising.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think high vacuum would be
more necessary with the SFI setup since you wouldn't have the fuel
'waiting' around in the port for the intake valve to open, as you
would with the batch fire.  On the other hand, the batch fire would
probably work pretty well with a large duration race cam, and pretty
low vacuum, right?

> >Also, what is usually tuneable with these systems?  spark map, injector
> >timing, opening time, etc. ?  I'm a real novice :-)

I think it would be great to be able to find a good race setting, and
a good high speed cruise setting, and to have the capability to change
the settings pretty much on the fly. (from a laptop).

Steve